I have a 1996 Speedster 15 footer than I bought used in 2001. The boat has the stock twin 85hp Rotax engines.
The boat is primarily used by my grown children to pull tubers. It has been a great boat for our needs these past few years, but now I'm having mechanical problems with it: impellers are nicked from sucking rocks, and the left engine overheats. I'm not the kind of guy to wrench it myself.
I'm thinking of bringing it to a dealer to trade in for a newer Speedster. Listed below are the things I like and dislike about this model. I would appreciate it if forum members could tell me how the newer models compare with my 96 Speedster.
Things I like about the 96 Speedster:
- The size. It's easy to tow and move around
- The power. Fast as hell when it's running well
- Safety - no prop. This is a big plus with lots of little kids getting on and off tubes near the stern
- Low draft - The water level in my lake varies throughout the year. When it gets shallow, this is a big plus.
Things I dislike about the 96 Speedster:
- NOISE - the twin two stroke Rotax engines are unbearably loud. Before I bought the boat, I wondered why it had no stereo. Now I know - it's pointless with the 96.
- Pollution - Every time I see those two huge clouds of blue two stroke smoke when I start up, I wonder what I'm doing to my lake
-Battery placement - I don't think the Sea Doo engineers could have made it more difficult to pull the batteries from this thing
How has Sea Doo addressed my dislikes in the last 15 years?
dburgess56Member Since 18 Jul 2011
Offline Last Active Jul 18 2011 12:21 PM
- Group Members
- Active Posts 1
- Profile Views 2,803
- Member Title Novice
- Age Age Unknown
- Birthday Birthday Unknown
michigan inland lakes
Year of DOO
Model of DOO
Engine in DOO
Twin 85hp Rotax (720)
Hours on DOO
State or Province
dburgess56 hasn't added any friends yet.