Yesterday as I launched my 01 Challenger 1800 I heard the sound of debris getting sucked up and engine stopped. It was quick and I didn't try to start it again. I took it out and looked to see rocks had been sucked up. I took the grate off to remove them but looks like 3 or 4 are sick in there tight. I read somewhere that taking off a sparkplug will release tension so i can try to turn the impeller. Is this true? Have any of you experienced this?
Any tips will be greatly appreciated. I plan to take appart what I can to get them off tomorrow after work.
My boat has the 240 EFI Mercury. The impeller looks straight for what I can see and the wear ring seems to be good.
Rocks stuck in impeller
Started by DFWCHallenger1800, Sep 08 2013 10:45 PM
1 reply to this topic
Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:45 PM
Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:58 AM
The spark plug trick works well on the 1503 Rotax engine but not so well for the Mercury since it has too many rotating parts. You need to pull the pump off from the back to get the rocks out. There is no wear ring on a mercury so check the clearance between the impeller and housing carefully. .013 or less is good.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users